Tuesday, March 20, 2007

"As the highest ranking officer here ..."

We are here today in disbelief of the loss in our lives from Morgan's passing.
Given the opportunity to say some words today its impossible not to think of the gain we will always carry with us from being part of Morgan's life.


I've known Morgan for almost 30 years and we have done so many great things together.
We have travelled around the world and enjoyed our own back yard of Sydney.


I'll always hold all my memories of Morgan dearly but I wanted to recount one of my favourites which encapsulates his personality and some early days of adventure.

In the early years of high school Morgan thought it would be a good idea for us to obtain officer ranking in the Shore cadets.
This was not to be taken lightly as it involved giving up the most precious time of school holidays .. and in winter. Ready to show the school our lust for adventure and our obvious proficiency in bushcraft we ventured off.
It was at the end of day one that it all went horribly wrong.... by the end of the week long horror trip, I had been ranked last and Morgan second last.
The irony in all of this is the fact that since high school the two of us have done countless adventures across the world and its unlikely we would in the real world be ranked so poorly.
Despite the failings of the course Morgan was given the lofty rank of Lance Corporal.
I remained Private Balnaves...
20 years later we were all at a bucks weekend in the company of a young man who had just joined the real Australian army.
Morgan took great delight in reminding us all that he was the highest ranking officer present.
"As the highest ranking officer here...I ORDER you to bring me a beer".
Morgs loved this kind of humour and like a terrier he would never let go, to Morgs the joke only got funnier the more you said it...he'd only stop once his life was in danger and even then sometime during the night he yelled it out running through the room....this is how Morgan lived his whole life.
He had a brilliant sense of humour and loved a good joke, his wit was razor sharp.
He got an incredible amount out of life.


Morgan was a very complex person. His personal life and professional life always sought the best.
He was never satisfied with the mundane and was extremely driven.
He was a great listener and very often put a perspective on things easily overlooked.


I am so proud to know Morgan.
He is nothing short of a wonderful friend.
I loved his spirit, passion and mateship .


You will never be forgotten Morgs...We love you dearly.

Justin Balnaves

Tuesday 20/3/07
Nothern Suburbs Crematorium

No comments: