Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Sekaten Festival in the grounds of the Sultan's Palace


Morgan in Yogyakarta last year, with the beautiful Swiss aid worker Sybille.

The loveliest ones always docked alongside HMS Mellish, it seems.

These shots were taken at the Sekaten festival in the grounds of the Sultan's palace, on a tilting merry-go-round sort of device that was operated entirely by hand, with a team of about 12 guys running alongside the riding platform to get it up to high speed and keep it there.

The thing looked so dangerous there was instant agreement -- we wouldn't be doing our job as foreign correspondents unless we had a go on it.

Morgan ... it's only a week ago you told me to stop behaving like a bloodyIndonesian, sending text messages with one hand and driving at high speed onthe airport tollway with the other.

Crazy to think I won't have you anymore to stop me being such a smartarse.

I'll miss you, mate. I was looking forward to some long runs around Menteng in our plan to avoid the "10kg posting".
Promise I would've stopped to let you catch up ...

fitz

No comments: