I could think of nothing else as the engine roared and wheels skidded down the runway, but of Morgan.
In fact, he has consumed my every waking hour since the horrific crash.
I first met Morgan at my birthday party in 2005.
He arrived, early with a group of friends: white press button shirt, blue jeans, blond tossled hair, sideways grin.
I still remember our conversation vividly...as I had just returned to Australia from 10 months of travelling, particularly surfing in Mexico, France and Spain, where Morgan was about to take a holiday.
Morgan and his friends were moving on to another party...he took my number "to talk about surfing in Mexico".
The next day he called to catch up.
I told him to bring his Mexico Lonely Planet and I'd give him all my travel tips...I didn't realise it was meant to be a Date!
I was in awe of this amazing man. Smart, Funny, Ambitious, Athletic and Gorgeous.
Is he real?
We forgot food, we talked endlessly about our love for travelling, surfing, the ocean, sailing, sky diving, his passion for mountain climbing, cycling, camping, business, politics, Otis...and music - one of Morgan's greatest loves.
We had very similar taste in music, I couldn't believe there was someone else out there who is aware of, and loves Velvet Underground!
Then there is Wedding Present. I still don't understand his love for this band!
His Johny Cash collection that reminded him of his car trip with 2 American Surfers, the Chilean skiing experience assisted by AC/DC, Greenday, William Shatner, and his absolute adoration for K.D. Lang's Hymns of the 49th Parallel: A Case Of You and Hallelulljah.
Morgan called me after his first Wolfmother concert, he spoke with the excitement of a small child "It ripped! I danced (jumped) so much I had to ring my shirt out of sweat!"
We would do our own screaming rendition of Meatloaf's Paradise by the Dashboard Light and collapse breathless in laughter.
Our weekends were all about surfing and newspapers. After a marathon surf, he'd devour 2 meat pies washed down with a sausage roll, and critically review every news article in print.
So many memories with Morgan:
:: Local Bronte's Robbin Hood $5 steak and Stella please... Sorry Sir, No Havanas.
:: Bronte ocean swims, back arching out of the waves, the smile of exhilaration on his face
:: Being stranded on a tube in the middle of Pittwater for hours until dark, with a beer and bottle of champagne, thanks Greg!
:: Bungers surf with Morgan and Dom
:: Bali crowds of young surfers cheering as Morgan catches tubes
:: Easily pleased with a home cooked lasagna or a pomomdoro and tuna pasta
:: We had the same Ipod gift theory: Giving your partner an Ipod would result in the immediate demise of the relationship
:: Reading my first John Pilger book!...inspired by Morgan
Morgan worked tenaciously on the Robert Gerard story.
Fearlessly and passionately he wrote story by story.
Each daily issue of the AFR was Morgan Mellish's unrelenting pounding of Robert Gerard.
One night I turned to Morgan and said "Hey, go easy on him...".
He looked at me incredulously, "But he's a crook!" We always had the Capitalist v's Crook debate.
Morgan had always been honest with me. A Foreign Correspondent posting was his aim.
When he achieved his posting to Indonesia with the AFR I was so proud and so happy for him, and deeply saddened at the same time...I would miss him.
My job was very demanding on my time and Morgan, with the 'work-play' balance perfected, my constantly beeping blackberry would be confiscated and thrown in the top draw as soon as I walked through the door.
After announcing my dramatic career change, I received an email from Morgan that said:
"Let's see if I've got this straight - you went from being a property developer to a diamond trader. What's next, lead rider in Satan's army? Or maybe you'll become a journalist. m"
I was devastated when Morgan left for Indo.
But nothing compares to the feeling of loss I now feel.
My Ipod is full of Morgan's music, I can't bare to turn it on, then I can't bare to turn it off.
We will again, one day, sing Paradise by the Dashboard Light.
Tanti bacci bello.
Belindax
3 comments:
Morgan was nothing short of brilliant when it came to music selection in pubs. Morgs and I went mountain bike riding at Wiseman Ferry which involves an over night stay at the local pub. I'd buy the first round of beers and Morgs sets up the pool table and fires up the jukebox. Normally the Wiseman's Ferry hotel is a favourite of hardcore motor bike riders who come up to enjoy the quite roads through the bush. An eerie hush feel across the room when Morgan's first selection, 'its raining men' came on .. luckily our lives were spared when Paradise by the Dashboard Light came on. Few people can hit the high notes of Meatloaf whilst doing the most complex air guitar moves like Morgs.
Justin Balnaves
Morgan was one of those people that should come with his own soundtrack. I don't think I have a memory of him that doesn't have associated music.
Pre-dinner drinks at Morgan's on our first date and he fires up his iPod to his extensive Madonna collection. I cracked up laughing and he spent the next 15 mins justifying that there is a Madonna song for every occasion and there's nothing immasculine about appreciating her music... or her costumes.
When I met up with him in Sydney just before New Year, we'd finally gotten into Hugo's after much drama (Paris Hilton had a promo there that night) and we couldn't find my friends. We were making our way to the exit when Brown Eyed Girl came on. Without a word he 180ed us back to the dance floor. Apparently "You can't walk out when Van's playing". Three hours later we finally made it back to the hotel and Morgan put on a great rendition of Brown Eyed Girl for the door man. I can't remember the last time I laughed so hard.
Justin, the mental picture I have is hilarious... Ah, Stop right there! I gotta know right now! Before we go any further..!
Post a Comment