Saturday, March 17, 2007

This guy is too good to be true

I got to know Morgan when I was at the Fin and he was at the SMH.
We later worked together in the Canberra bureau of the Fin. On first encountering Morgs in Sydney, I thought `this guy is too good to be true: good looking, athletic, laid back, and a skilled reporter.'
Turns out it was.
He was all those things, and generous towards other people too.
I remember him once describing how he got his job at the SMH. He was working in the trade press and was sending out applications far and wide, as you do.
Of all the letters sent there were only two expressions of interest, from the Fin and SMH.
I'm pretty sure they both offered him a job.
Telling the story he would laugh about his luck at scoring a gig at the place he wanted to work the most and being rejected by the rest.
I got the sense that behind his relaxed approach there was a strong sense of propiety. When he was working in Canberra he was dating Julia Baird, daught of the Liberal MP. The link could have given Morgan a great conversational starting point with the many Liberal politicians we'ld socialise with and lift his own profile. But Morgan refused to the drop the name, and was obviously determined to keep the family connection private. It was clear he didn't want us fellow reporters revealing it either.
He never said why, but I believe it reflected his deep personal integrity.
Mate, you're a lovely man and it was privilege knowing you.
Aaron Patrick
The Wall Street Journal

No comments: