Sunday, March 11, 2007

A cat called 'Otis'

Morgan told me he had to find Otis another home but for the life of me I can't remember where he said Otis went.
I'd just finished telling him that I thought my dog had more personality than most people when Morgan launched into this saga about his cat.
I thought he was just trying to make me feel less like the pathetic girl with a dog to keep her company instead of a man, but as he went on I knew he was just as sad as me.
Morgan said that everyday he'd come home from work and Otis would be laying down across the door waiting for him.
He would have to force the door open and slide Otis across the floor just to get in.
His eyes lit up talking about that cat.
He said that for a long time he missed coming home and sliding Otis out of the way, that it was comforting and without Otis he felt that little bit more lonely.
I found a dog for sale in a hardware store in Jakarta. A beautiful red siberian husky.
He was hot and tired and he made my heartache (I have a husky).
I nearly had Morgan convinced about buying him, but he travelled too much to have a dog.
I used to tease Morgan that he wouldn't have gotten my number when he asked for it if it weren't for the Otis stories.

Kat Farrell

Does anyone know where Otis is now?

5 comments:

littletoad said...

Yes. He came back to me for a while - Morgan and I both fell in love with Otis, when we were living together. A friend of mine, Jo, bought him as a wee kitten, but he was too wild for her flat & I kept offering to mind him. Eventually we adopted him. And when Morgan went to Indonesia, and Adam and Farrah went to Newcastle, Otis returned. I am now living in New York and Otis is with two very dear friends in Bondi, who love him to bits.
He's stoked.
Julia Baird

littletoad said...

I forgot to add though, that yes Morg cared so much about Otis, he played with him for hours - several varieties of games with pink string, making Otis leap higher and higher, limbs wobbling mid-flight - and used to pack bags of toys and food when we took him anywhere. He was very sweet with him. They often fell asleep together in the afternoons, Otis sneaking under the covers, curling up against his legs and snoring.
They just bonded instantly, it was lovely to watch.

Anonymous said...

...and as I recall with a laugh, Morgan used to refer to Otis as his 'man-cat' and was convinced - as testimony to Otis's manliness and therefore his own reflected testosterone levels - that when he played Led Zeppelin, Otis would slink about in time to the music. I lived downstairs in that fantastic apartment building and was eventually convinced after many a demonstration!

Anonymous said...

Otis lives with us in Bondi and yes, he's a cat with a big personality. He still lies across the door waiting for company, he still plays leaping games, chases pieces of string and sneaks under the covers to curl up against our legs. He's added a new 'game' to his repertoire of skills called 'Where's That Bloke?', an all-action, leaping variation on hide-and-seek! Otis endears himself to everyone who comes into contact with him, and we suspect that our eyes light up when talking about that cat too! We knew Morgs for a short time in his life, but like Otis, he endeared himself to us. We are very lucky that Otis's previous owners were such lovely people and dear friends. Otis will always remind us of our connection to Morgs.
Love, Anna & Nick xx
p.s. We haven't yet played Otis Led Zep, but we'll give it a go!

Unknown said...

Woody, Paris (now deceased) and I remember Mr O well. We moved into Jo's flat - below Morgan and Otis - when Jo swanned off to London. The 'man-cat' never showed the old lady cat any respect. As you can see in these pics (links below) a flimsy piece of glass was all there was between Paris and blue steel. As for us humans, Otis was the only cat who left a full five-claw scratch - from elbow to wrist - as his calling card. See you Morgan, travel well.

Paris Otis:Sphinx-Off


Otis: Blue Steel