I too am on service overseas and have been for the past seven years.
Some nights when I finally crawl into bed I feel it's hard to be far away from home - missing babies arriving, birthdays, anniversaries and just those spontaneous Saturday afternoon get togethers.
At the same time the world is a better place when we live without borders and make our homes in other places, even if only for a short while - we get to experience new culture and see everyone as our friend and neighbours.
To Morgan's family and friends - do not dwell on a life cut short but be thankful that he was here at all. Tis better to have loved him for a short time than never have known him at all.
I had the pleasure of knowing Morgan early in his career before he joined Fairfax. He was one of many “orphans” to come over from Huntleys' (now defunct) Small Business Newsletter to the Foodweek and Inside Retailing team. But he fitted in immediately and for me as his chief of staff, Morgan was a delight to work with. Despite his laid-back manner I could always count on him to follow up the assignments I gave him and get a good story in the basket on time without fuss or drama. I was not surprised to see his career take off after he left us and I am devastated our profession has lost such a promising talent. My heartfelt sympathies go out to Morgan's family and friends whose world will never be the same without him.
On the wall of Morgan's office, in the background of the photo above, is a photocopied article that Morgan's predecessor and friend, Andrew Burrell, had left behind.
Andrew pointed out to me that it's translation is "HOWARD KISSES BUSH'S ARSE" or words to that effect.
A subtle hint at what he really felt or some sort of oversight when taking the picture!?!?
4 comments:
From the USA -
I too am on service overseas and have been for the past seven years.
Some nights when I finally crawl into bed I feel it's hard to be far away from home - missing babies arriving, birthdays, anniversaries and just those spontaneous Saturday afternoon get togethers.
At the same time the world is a better place when we live without borders and make our homes in other places, even if only for a short while - we get to experience new culture and see everyone as our friend and neighbours.
To Morgan's family and friends - do not dwell on a life cut short but be thankful that he was here at all. Tis better to have loved him for a short time than never have known him at all.
Sincerest regards, Leone
Morgan - You lived life to the full and never tired of a good yarn, nor did your belief ever falter in trying to make the world a better place.
Simply by living, you have enriched us all.
x
Morgan passed one simple, critical test with flying colours: he made the world a better place.
A colleague.
I had the pleasure of knowing Morgan early in his career before he joined Fairfax. He was one of many “orphans” to come over from Huntleys' (now defunct) Small Business Newsletter to the Foodweek and Inside Retailing team. But he fitted in immediately and for me as his chief of staff, Morgan was a delight to work with. Despite his laid-back manner I could always count on him to follow up the assignments I gave him and get a good story in the basket on time without fuss or drama. I was not surprised to see his career take off after he left us and I am devastated our profession has lost such a promising talent. My heartfelt sympathies go out to Morgan's family and friends whose world will never be the same without him.
Sincerely, Eva Wiland
Post a Comment