Thursday, March 8, 2007

Walkley Winner

Morgan wished his Walkey had been for an article in the famous Blue Mountains Gazette, reporting on his niece's fabulous swimming achievements at Springwood Amateur Swimming Club.
Alas, he could only get a job at Fairfax!

60 comments:

Anonymous said...

You will be greatly missed. I'm sorry this has happened to such a vibrant, honest and promising person. I'm sure there is a special place for you in the world beyond....

Anonymous said...

Our prayers & thoughts are with all involved directly & indirectly. Eternal Rest Grant unto them Oh Lord!

Anonymous said...

You are a great loss to us all.
Your colleagues here at The Fin are missing you very deeply. I can still see that cheeky bloody grin of yours and will always remember that laconic, punchy wit. Your warm, enthusiastic approach to life is something I will never forget.

Anonymous said...

To Morgans Family,

My deepest sympathy to all the family. May God strenghten you in this sad time, and we pray for you to be strong, it is not the news we atned to hear we were all still hoping and praying for a miracle. He was a vibrant young man, and I am sure he is at peace, he died doing what he loves best.

anonymous colleague

Anonymous said...

To Morgan's family and friends:

I only met Morgan once - however was very impressed at what a vibrant young man he was. I was very impressed to again see him on TV win his Walkley award. 'Wow', i thought, 'he has such a promising future. What a talented guy!'

It is very hard to make sense of random events such as this. Australia will miss such a talented young man - taken from this life way too soon.

I hope Morgan's family and friends find comfort during this sad time. My thoughts are with you all. xo

Anonymous said...

God bless ya Morgs, you sure knew how to live your life to the full. Your enthusiasm rubbed off on all who knew you. The world has lost some of its energy and I'm really gonna miss you mate.
Billy

Anonymous said...

My heart aches just looking at this picture of such a young person . May someone up there look after him .

Anonymous said...

Morgan's cool, relaxed and confident nature surprised everyone who saw the seriousness of his approach. As a colleague he was that great rarity in journalism; a serious person with neither the baggage of obsessive ego nor the conceit of the believer.
We all experienced a man living a life, fully and well. His tragedy is the despair of those many of us who looked forward sharing some of what was to come.

Anonymous said...

My mom used to say god needs the best people in earth to help him taking care of heaven! Even though I only knew Morgan for a couple of hours, I realised why god needed him. My friend, who loves him a lot, said he is super intelligent, funny, polite, and much more.
I could experience all this and we laugh and danced so much!!! Heaven is now a better place because he is there. :@)

Anonymous said...

I am really sorry to hear this...

Everyone in the office had been searching for information about Morgan since we heard about the accident on Tuesday, early in the morning. At around 2 pm, we rushed out from our meeting room as we heard the heart-breaking news...

I am praying for Morgan, for those who loves him ... and for those he loved... may the strength be with you, always. My deepest sympathy to all of you.

Anonymous said...

Morgan
you were a gun of a bloke. a true inspiration, always living life large, which came so naturally to you. Pruey and I are really going to miss you mate. My deepest thoughts for you and your family.
JD.

Anonymous said...

This morning, when I heard the news about a missing journalist, I had hoped that it wasn't Morgan.

Since he was going out with my flatmate for some time, we've shared many good yarns in my house in Bondi and whenever we bumped into each other at our local and the last time in Byron last Jan. He's always been a gentleman with a with a fantastic attitude on life.

What a tragedy to lose someone so young, talented, smart, hardworking and inspirational to others. Morgan is a great loss to all his family, friends and colleagues. He will be greatly missed.

Morgan, it has been a pleasure to have known you. May you rest in peace.

Your mate, Sugar

Anonymous said...

I will always associate Morgan with the Tamarama surf beach. I would often run into him there - emerging from the surf as we both made the most of the deserted beach before our late start journalist hours.
Before he landed his correspondent’s job in Jakarta we’d meet for ocean swims - the Bondi point to point, or Tamarama to Bronte swim.
As well as knowing Morgan through work, he lived in Bronte with two of my friends from Melbourne, Prue and John. He came to a couple of the barbecues we had in Tamarama and there would always be someone who commented afterwards about the tall blond who had engaged them in interesting conversation or challenged their views on a topic.
Morgan will be remembered by all who met him as being energetic and life-loving.
All my love to Morgan’s family. Anneli

Anonymous said...

The news is so unbelievable, is he now in the great Marina in the sky with a beer in one hand and the tiller in the other.

God bless and keep you Morgan.

Anonymous said...

Well, what words can be said when such a talented young man has been taken from this earth in the most unthinkable way.

We can only express whole heartedly to the family that everybody is thinking of you at such a terrible time. LT

The Winer said...

My heart goes out to the family and friends of Morgan. Your beautiful smile, your curious eyes, and the photos of you interacting with the kids put tears in my eyes.

May your life live on through those you have touched greatly.

Anonymous said...

He definitely had a few more Walkelys in him. But that's just work - heartfelt sympathy to his family and friends. That's a wonderful photo of the legs in the pool. A great uncle indeed.

Anonymous said...

I spent a long time being a bit jealous of you mate, with your ability, your lifestyle, your successes and your whole outlook on life. Now I just feel gutted. I looked forward to Jakarta trips to catch up with you for a few beers and next time I go it's going to feel empty and unfriendly without you being there. My heart goes out to your family. I just can't believe this, can't get my head around it at all.

Anonymous said...

Heartfelt condolences to Morgan's family.
I worked with your son/brother/uncle in Sydney and Canberra and know what a loss you have suffered.
Morgan was a fine journalist, a wonderful person and a credit to his family.
One of those relaxed, easy-going, personable individuals who it was just good fun to spend time with.
You can rightly be proud of Morgan and his achievements.
Praying for you.

Anonymous said...

There are too many people whose lives are cut short through no fault of their own. At least with Morgan we can draw enormous comfort from the fact that he lived a life that most people could only dream of. Throw in the fact that he was such a lovely guy it helps you realise that we were just really lucky to have had him walk into our lives no matter how briefly.

Morgan, you were one in a million and will always be remembered that way.

Anonymous said...

To Morgan's family and friends - a message from afar, both in time and distance. Can only echo the words of an earlier tribute talking about a very rare mix of qualities - capability, humility, respect, decency just to name a few. Be proud of him and remind ourselves that even in today's world it is possible to aspire to these values. His passing should also remind us to cherish every moment we and our loved ones have on this earth. Selamat jalan Pak Morgan.

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful experience having the opportunity to get to know such a unique character like Morgan. Rarely do you come across a true all rounder like Morgan - smart, funny, caring, passionate, athletic and not to forget good looking. I can just imagine how proud you would have made your family, and what they must be going through now. One can only hope they can draw strength for the many wonderful memories they will always cherish of you.
Prue

Anonymous said...

Deepest sympathy to family and friends - such a loss

Anonymous said...

I worked with Morgan in Jakarta and got to know him on, ironically a couple of flights to a far flung part of Indonesia. His enthusiasm for life was infectious. He took his laptop out to show me his photo collection, we became friends. On every trip to Jakarta I'd call and a beer would be waiting. The world is a lesser place today...

Anonymous said...

Reading Morgan's column on the train yesterday, I could not help but be impressed by the standard of his writing. Once home – inspired – I spent my evening scouring the web for more information on South-East Asian collaborative anti-terrorism. It was not the first time his writing had prompted me to seek more knowledge.

One of the key roles successful journalists play is to not only inform but to promote discussion. Very few journalists are capable of this. Morgan certainly was, and as a society we are all the richer for having been blessed with his brief presence.

On news of his passing today, I was deeply moved. I knew not the man, but his world-class journalism. My heartfelt thoughts go out to his family, friends and colleagues.

A reader.

Anonymous said...

I didn't know Morgan but remember reading his articles, and seeing him win a walkley. Gathering from what has been said on previous occasions, you were a great bloke. And it such a shame to see someone in the prime of their life, leave us at such a young age. May you rest in peace mate. S

Anonymous said...

I have been touched and shaken by this disaster because I met Morgan Mellish a couple of times at company presentations and always admirered his work, particularly his recent articles on Indonesia as the AFR’s Jakarta correspondent. I learned much about Indonesia, a country of the utmost importance to Australians, from his excellent, and highly readable, journalism. He educated readers about Indonesia and told us what we needed to know. He was a standard-bearer for all of us who think beyond our own country’s shores. Given the AFR’s reputation and readership he was in a position to do the country a service, and he did. The country has lost one of its brightest sons and I regret we all will now not benefit from Morgan rising to the heights of Australian business and foreign affairs journalism.



I convey my profound sympathy to Morgan’s colleagues and family.



David Walker

Senior Equities Analyst

Morningstar Australia

8216 0955

Anonymous said...

TO MORGAN MELLISH'S FAMILY


Morgan's journalistic colleagues at The Age send our most sincere thoughts.

Know that we are thinking of you.

Know that we are collectively saddened.

Know that we will cherish Morgan's work and words.

And know that the stories about Morgan and his achievements will endure.

We published a separate story on Morgan today, and one of his former colleagues has written a personal reflection for tomorrow's paper.

Our thoughts are with you.

Paul Ramadge, on behalf of staff


Paul Ramadge
Senior Deputy Editor

The Age

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to send a note to say how terribly sorry I was to hear about Morgan.

Derry we spoke briefly on the phone yesterday; Morgan was a really good mate - I saw a lot of him over the past year and am devastated.

Glenn we have met a few times, I used to be at BT and ironically I think the reason we met was because Morgan used to give us a hell of a time when he was in the financial services section. Since he moved to Jakarta I caught up a lot with Morgan socially. What a champion guy!

I'm sure you are aware of this but for what it is worth Morgan was having the time of his life in Indo. He loved his work and loved life; I reckon he sent me a hundred pictures of him shredding waves off various remote points in Java.

I guess I wanted you to know that through his work Morgan also touched many people outside of Fairfax. He will be sorely missed.

Jason




Jason Collins
Deutsche Bank Asia

Anonymous said...

Dear Mellish family,
I, like I suppose everybody else, liked Morgan the first time I laid eyes on him. He had a subtle cheeky smile and a twinkle in his eyes that marked him out as a special bloke. I cannot remember ever having a bad thing to say about or to him. And, by the way, I always thought he must have been brought up well, for he was a gentleman who rarely played the rogue. Congratulations. Commiserations.
I will certainly miss him.

Phillip ("PD") Jack

Anonymous said...

To the Mellish family

I had the great pleasure of knowing Morgan for the last couple of years of his life, first in Sydney, and then after we left Australia on the same day last year, he to Jakarta and I to Singapore. We would catch up for a drink whenever I visited Jakarta or he came here, and we were frequently in touch about story ideas in each others' countries.

I feel numb at what has happened, the terrible suddenness of the ending, and I can't begin to imagine how you must be feeling at this loss. From the messages of support I am sure you have received, you must surely sense that you raised someone who left a real mark upon everyone he met. All of us were impressed by his talent, his nature and his insistence on squeezing everything possible out of life. It is a cruelly young age to be taken away but the time he spent on earth he filled to the maximum with experiences few others might accumulate in twice as long.

I am thinking of you all.

Chris Wright

Anonymous said...

Please pass my condolences on to Morgan's family and loved ones. My thoughts are with them during this hard time. Mal Maiden, Age Newspaper

Anonymous said...

Dear Dawn, Peter, Caroline and Lucy,

I worked with Morgan over the past two and a bit years and he also lived near me in Bronte, so we shared home the odd cab - always on one of Morgan's secret stash of company cabcharges of course. Last year, I worked with him on a story in Jakarta. He managed to turn our serious story on an interview with a high ranking Indonesian minister into a riot of laughs. And with Morgan you always finished the day off with a few cold beers and yet more laughs. I am just so so sorry to hear of this terrible tragedy; it's impossible to know what to say. Please know all our thoughts are with you. Morgan sat with us in National when he was based in Sydney. We remember him sauntering around the office in his socks - no shoes - chatting to everyone about what story they were working on and sympathising if it happened to be a dull yarn. He had a wonderful sense of humour. It is impossible to describe how much Morgan will be missed :(

Kind regards,
Fiona

Fiona Carruthers
Journalist
The Australian Financial Review

Anonymous said...

Morgan Mellish was a man who was unafraid to put himself on the line to tell the truth. He will also be well remembered by the West Papuan people for the effort he went to in uncovering the links and corruption between the Indonesian Military and the giant Freeport mine in West Papua. I had the pleasure of working with Morgan as a fixer for his West Papua visits to Freeport in 2006, where he managed to do some very provocative pieces on the financing of the terrible human rights and environmental abuses that Freeport Mcmoran are conducting. To his eternal credit, Morgan did not stop reporting even when he was stopped by the Indonesian intelligence service, and it was his enthusiasm at giving them a big finger that most impressed me..
He will always be valued as a young man of high integrity an commitment to telling the truth, and we thank him especially for the role he has played in exposing the financial side of the human rights abuses across Indonesia and West Papua. He brought justice a few steps closer by putting himself on the line, as he has done again today. A man who deserved more than Walkleys.

My condolences to his family, friend and colleagues on behalf of all those working for justice for West Papua.

Nick Chesterfield

Anonymous said...

Paola Totaro and Robert Wainwright send our deepest condolences not only to his family but his colleagues at the AFR. We both knew Morgan, particularly from his time at the SMH and during the period we were all in state parliament together. He was a talented journalist, wonderful company and we mourn his loss with you all. Sincerely and with love, Paola and Robert.

Anonymous said...

only worked briefly with your son but what a pleasure it was! Morgan taught me so much about the kind of person I hope to become.

Most people never shine as brightly in an entire lifetime as Morgan did on any given day. Thank you for your gift.

Vicki Tait

Anonymous said...

If you could pass on to Morgan’s family the following message I would be very grateful.

To Morg’s Mum and Dad and sisters -

I just wanted to let you know how much Morg meant to me as a friend and colleague. He was such an interesting, and in many ways unusual person – on the surface a very straightforward Australian bloke, but underneath such a caring and sensitive person, with a real gift for friendship. I met him through Julia, and after they broke up we kept in touch: I remember being so surprised and glad that he wanted to maintain a friendship. He used to come reviewing restaurants with me (he was great at finding obscure northern beaches locations!) and to weird surfing movies.

Since his move to Jakarta we’ve kept in touch via texts and the odd email – I saw him at the Walkleys and we had lunch at Christmas in Sydney. He seemed so happy, just loving his life in Indonesia and the job and everything.

I am sure all sorts of people you have never heard of will be writing to you to let you know how Morg touched their lives – he was a wonderful, surprising, caring man. I am so proud to have known him and had him as a friend.

I am thinking of you all at this unbearable time,

Love

Amanda (Hooton)

Amanda Hooton, journalist

Anonymous said...

Morgan was just one of the good guys, a lovely person, a terrifice reporter and a great loss to eveyone who knew him.

Marian Wilkinson.

Anonymous said...

Hello to the Mellish family
I knew Morgan from his time on SMH business - I worked in an adjacent area in SMH sport. My sincere regrets for your loss. He was a charming and friendly man, a loss to you, to his colleagues and to the wider world of journalism.
Please know that he is remembered very warmly across the profession.
Sincerely,
Jennie Curtin, currently SMH letters editor

Anonymous said...

was saddened to hear the tragic news about Morgan Mellish today. Morgan was very kind to me when I visited Indonesia in December last year and was always generous, professional and a pleasure to work with in all his capacities at the Financial Review. The last time I saw him was at a seminar I gave on Australian-Indonesian economic relations at the Australian Embassy in Jakarta the day before he was to fly home for the Walkleys. We chatted about his chances and I was delighted when he won on the big night itself.

Morgan achieved so much as a fine journalist and as a person at such a young age.

Can you please pass on my sympathy to his family and to his friends and colleagues at the paper.

With best wishes

Tim

Tim Harcourt
Chief Economist
Australian Trade Commission

Anonymous said...

I've known Morgan for 15 years and he's always been the same - full of energy, enthusiasm and zest for life. A natural athlete with a healthy disinclination to treat his body as a temple, he was a positive force - a good man and a good mate.

Our sympathies are with his family at this difficult time. He will be greatly missed and may he Rest In Peace

Anonymous said...

To me, it always seemed that Morgan had it all. Privately, I called him "the golden boy" and knew there were big things in store for him. Tall, good looking, talented, confident, popular ... all the more shocking when he was whisked away like that.
At work, I can see we are all trying to get our heads around what has happened and thank you so much Lucy for giving us this place to express our feelings. My thoughts are with all those who loved Morgan
Fiona S

Anonymous said...

Just some comments from the Friday March 9 Australian Financial Review article on Morgan.

Federal Treasurer Peter Costello
yesterday extended his sympathies
to the family, friends and colleagues of Mellish: ``Morgan was a well-liked and respected journalist and I extend my sympathies to all those
who knew and loved him.''
Westpac chief executive David
Morgan, who dealt with Mellish
over several years, thought he was a ``good guy''.
''A tenacious journalist is a fair description. I always found him professional and well informed. He tried hard to get the detail and to understand the big picture.If he was on to a story, he was like a dog with a bone. During interviews he was pretty tough-minded and quite probing. He was unfailingly professional. He worked hard to get the facts straight,'' Morgan said.
And Simon Mordant, joint chief
executive of advisory firm Caliburn Partnership, said Mellish was a ``star''.
``What he achieved was pretty impressive in any career.''

Anonymous said...

To Morgan Mellish's family


I didn't know Morgan personally, but have had the pleasure and honour of reading some of his journalism. I am so sorry for your loss.

Yours sincerely,

Mary-Anne Toy
China Correspondent
Sydney Morning Herald & The Age

Anonymous said...

To Morgan's family, who will miss him so much.

Morgan was such a beautiful boy and such a wonderful, fair, thorough, and talented journalist. Many of us at Fairfax have just been over to the pub to celebrate Morgan and many tales have been shared that shine a light on someone who was a lovely person, so funny, and who stood up for others.

With deepest commiserations from Pam Williams at the AFR

Anonymous said...

i don't know Morgan personally but i have seen him several times on jobs.
I'm truly saddened by his passing and may he rest in peace.

Anonymous said...

affectionately known as 'baby jesus' Now we all wish he could prove it true

Anonymous said...

What an amazing guy, will be sadly missed by the whole world, until next time xx

Anonymous said...

Morgan was such a lovely bloke and I'm terribly saddened by this news. My thoughts and prayers are with his family, friends and colleagues.

The next time I paddle out into the line-up the best wave will be for you, Morgan.

Geoff Elliott
Washington Correspondent
The Australian

Anonymous said...

Morgan was one of the most intelligent, warm and gorgeous people I have ever met.
I can't comprehend that I won't see him again.
My deepest sympathies go out to his family, friends and colleagues in Australia and Jakarta.
Karen Michelmore

Anonymous said...

To Morgan's mother and sister and her children. You have my deepest sympathies and my prayers are for you all. I am very saddened and still in a state of shock that Morgan is no longer with us. Although I last saw Morgan about six years ago, I remember him fondly as I worked beside for three years at the SMH and without doubt his was one of the most genuine people I have ever met. In many ways he was the archetypal Australian male, a good bloke who loved life to the full as noted by his extensive adventures and he was loved by everyone as all these messages attest.
Kevin Morrison
Financial Times
London

nila tanzil said...

Morgan,

It's hard to believe that you're not around anymore. I used to see you a lot lately... It feels that something's missing here... and I don't know how to cope with that, yet...

Last time I saw him was 2 days before he passed away. We also spoke on the phone the night before he flew to Yogya. It's really unbelievable.

Morgan was very very sweet to me. He was really lovely. Smart, tall, sporty, good sense of humor and good looking. What a combination! He's very relaxed with everything. And he had been very supportive as well and encouraged me to do what I have to do. A guy with a character, indeed.

He travelled a lot while he lived in Indonesia. He tried to go away from the city in the weekends... and surfed ;). It's really good to know that he enjoyed his life to the fullest.

I posted something in my blog, dedicated to you, babe...

xxx,
Nila Tanzil

Anonymous said...

We only knew Morgan for a short time, but his tales of the PNG boat-trip fill our memories. Our heartfelt condolences to his family -- a great loss, taken far before his time.

Stuart & Sam, Jakarta.

Anonymous said...

Hi to his family

Everything said about Morgan across the site confirms why he'll be so missed. A lively, smart, decent, funny, generous, warm guy -and a great journo to top if off.

We'll miss you mate

Anonymous said...

I worked with Mogan when he was starting out with FOODweek. What a wonderful person - lots of laughs, lots of smiles, lots of fun and lots of potential.
He will be missed by so many as evidenced by the number of ex-FOODweek-ers who have all been in contact with each other, stunned at the loss.
My very best wishes to his family and I hope that all these messages go some way to helping through all of this.

Jillian Moore

Anonymous said...

Such a devastating loss. The world is no longer the same place.

I spent many good times with Morgs. It helps reading other people’s memories of him, including recollections of that cheeky grin.

His vibrance and kindness were always overwhelming. I feel privlidged to have known him.

He often spoke of his family, visits to see his mum and sisters, it was obvious that he loved you very much and my thoughts and prayers are with you.

He told me to always keep an open mind and to live life to the fullest. So I am determined more than ever to do that. I keep expecting him to walk around a corner. How lovely that would be.

Such a gorgeous, talented man. I miss you so very much.
I am sure Otis does too.

Rena x

Anonymous said...

Dear Lucy,
He was going to leave Otis with either the couple that lived in his unit with him at Bronte or someone else in the block.

Otis was a real rascal, always dashing around the place. Everyone in the block fed and loved him and I recall Morgs saying that there were a few people (including me) who were happy to look after Otis after he left for Indonesia.

If I manage to find out more I will certainly let you know.

Rena Richmond

nila tanzil said...

Happy Birthday, dear Morgan!

Today is your birthday. You suppose to turn 37 (but still look younger than you age, no worries!).

How odd it is that in your birthday, your body arrives in your home country. Hmm... It seems that everything has been arranged and planned. Maybe that's how it is, huh? Life works in a mysterious way.

Anyway, I would love to say "Selamat Ulang Tahun, sayang..".

I would cherish all the good times and remembering how lively and inspiring you were as an individual. Underneath your laid-back and relaxed attitude, you were a thoughtful and sweet person. Many people who didn't get a chance to know you might not know about that as you seemed to be a quiet person for strangers. :D

Lots of people were already inspired by you, you know? You really lived your life to the fullest and enjoy every moment of your life. Not many people have such a lively life! And I'm very grateful to be close to you even though it was indeed too short!

Hope there will be a big birthday party up there and all the angels sing a birthday song for you...

Hope you like the flowers that I brought to the beach for u today.
It was such a beautiful morning and so peaceful there. And I knew you could hear our prayers...

(http://nilatanzil.blogspot.com/2007/03/happy-birthday-morgan.html)

Have a wonderful birthday, sweets. wherever you are...

xxx,
Nila Tanzil
Jakarta

Unknown said...

I had the pleasure of knowing Morgan early in his career before he joined Fairfax. He was one of many “orphans” to come over from Huntleys' (now defunct) Small Business Newsletter to the Foodweek and Inside Retailing team. But he fitted in immediately and for me as his chief of staff, Morgan was a delight to work with. Despite his laid-back manner I could always count on him to follow up the assignments I gave him and get a good story in the basket on time without fuss or drama. I was not surprised to see his career take off after he left us and I am devastated our profession has lost such a promising talent. My heartfelt sympathies go out to Morgan's family and friends whose world will never be the same without him.

Sincerely, Eva Wiland

Anonymous said...

I remember both Morgan and Caroline from my days at Beauty Point Public School. His name came to light again for me the year that he won his Walkley award and i remember thinking after seeing his picture how he hadn't changed a bit. When i heard his name again last week i was so saddened by this tragic event and have followed it with such sorrow. What a wonderful man he grew to be - how sad that he has gone. My condolences to all those that were priveleged to have shared his life with him.